AdaMilan is a luxury custom wig brand founded by Canada-based Nigerian stylist, Ada Ojiaku. The brand has an e-commerce site, www.goldenlacewigs.com which was launched in 2007 and ships custom wigs to clients all over the world.
We reached out to Ada to learn more about the brand’s inspiration, goals, competition and more.
Tell us how and when your love for hair started
My interest in hair started at an early age. After my family relocated to Canada from Nigeria in the early 90’s, my mother who had the luxury of never detangling/combing my hair while we lived in Nigeria was faced with the challenge of making it look presentable for school. Lets just say, I went through elementary school being teased for having hairstyles that resembled “Medusa”. The infamous monster, a Gorgon, generally described as having venomous snakes in place of hair. I’m sure all my Naija sisters reading this experienced a quick flashback of this popular hairstyle known as “Ishi owu,” aka “thread hair.” Unfortunately, my mother’s version was not as stylish as CrazyEyes’ interpretation of it. This represented an unpleasant period in my life. Long story short, I could not bear the thoughts of my younger sister’s elementary school experience mirroring mine, I quickly self-taught how to braid. Thus assumed the role of her personal hairstylist.
What inspired you to go into the hair business?
While in University, I was instantly known as the girl with her weaves always onpoint. Before I knew it, I became the go-to-girl to get the hair hookups. Initially, I was doing it as a hobby and it gradually switched to a profitable business venture with the launch of www.goldenlacewigs.com.
There are a lot of women today that own their own hair businesses, how do you stay ahead of the competition?
New hair companies pop out everyday and at the same time many hair vendors throw in their towels daily. The hair business is not an easy venture to nurture; it’s quite expensive and time consuming to manage. To gain success in this industry, apart from having good products at competitive prices. And as important as keeping up with latest trends, you must have very supportive friends who will act not only as your walking billboards, they will also be your biggest marketers, promoters and supporters. Having friends at every geographical location in the world also helps your brand grow and stay relevant. Although I currently reside in Canada, 90% of my clienteles are outside of Canada. Mainly in United States, Across Europe and Africa.
What are some of the things you consider before making wigs for your clients?
In as much as I am in this line of business for maximum profit interest, I also have to hold my AdaMilan Wig brand to a certain esteem. Thus, I’m very selective over the style of wigs I produce for my clients. Foremost, I heavily take their personal styles into consideration. And try as much as possible to create units that will compliment said styles. On the same token, with each unit I create, I aim to personalize and tailor it to a style that will enhance my clients’ appearance. Most of my clients excitedly tell me they look and feel glamourous each time they put on their AdaMilan Custom Wig.
What demographic of people order AdaMilan Wigs?
Contrary to popular beliefs, women of color are not the only ones who wear wigs. I make custom wigs for all women regardless of race or location. Some of my clients are Middle Eastern and Europeans. Truth is, AdaMilan Wigs are for all fashion forward women. It affords you the opportunity to try different hairstyles; cuts and colors, without compromising your natural hair. Although over at Goldenlacewigs.com, we focus more on medical hair loss hair piece solutions for both men and women. Our products include everything but not limited to: Lace Wigs, Glueless Wigs, Custom Wefts, Toupees and Celebrity styles.
How would you advice a client to take care of her custom lace wig?
A custom virgin hair wig is an investment. Will you invest hundreds, at times, thousands of dollars on an item and neglect to take proper care of it? Your custom wig should not be an exception. Proper care for a wig can help protect its longevity and keep you looking great. Here are some key points on proper wig care methods to consider:
- While you’re sitting at home, take it off and put it on a wig stand. The stand will help keep its shape and taking it off your head takes away from your own tugging and pulling hairs out. Additionally, this will help a styled wig retain the style longer.
- When you need to comb your custom wig, be gentle. Do not use regular brushes, and if you can, only comb it. And while combing, start from the bottom and gently work your way to the roots. It doesn’t need to be combed every day, so let it rest.
- While washing your wig, always co-wash (washing with only conditioner.) Avoid using shampoo. Shampoo is too harsh and can lead to hair falling out. Conditioner alone will effectively remove all the dirt and leave it soft.
- Remember to wash/condition your wig only once in a couple of weeks, to keep it shiny and soft. Make sure you don’t do that every day and be sure to rinse it all out or it could lead to build-up in your wig.
- After washing your wig, do not shake it in a towel. It’s best to leave it to air dry; overnight, if possible. Also, never style your wig while it’s wet. Leave it to fully dry.
Where do you see your brand 5 years from now?
I will love to see AdaMilan Wigs grow into a global brand.