Esé Azénabor served us old glamour with a side order of modern elegance on Monday, September 14th at Affinia Manhattan as she presented her Spring 2016 designs to a ballroom chock full of fans and paparazzi. This was the Dallas designer’s second showcase at the New York Fashion Week. Her first was back in February when she debuted her Fall/Winter 2015 collection, but this was her first time debuting a spring collection. To better understand the uniqueness and dramatic flair of this collection, here are 5 things you need to know.
1. This collection was inspired by the biblical story of The Garden of Eden and I think it was beautifully executed because the embellished designs were sinfully alluring.
2. This is her most elaborate and colorful collection yet. To Esé The Garden of Eden represents color and beauty. Just as Eve became aware of her nakedness after eating the forbidden fruit, Ese’s spring 2016 collection opened my eyes to the beautiful, vibrant colors of spring and how to wear them.
3. The designs were hand-beaded over digitally-printed and hand-painted fabrics. Her exorbitant beadwork was artistically made to hug the models’ bodies like a lover’s caress.
4. Her runway designs were paired with handmade and animal skin bags by a fellow Dallas-based designer, Allison Mitchell who also showcased her designs at the NYFW.
5. The embellished sunglasses that added another sparkle and upped the runway charm were from Enerjiee by Sherine Patrick, a hand-embellished fashion accessory brand based in New York City. Each piece was hand-adorned with Swarovski crystals.
Esé is a rising force to be reckoned with in the world of fashion and I can’t wait to see more dazzling work from her.
Here’s a video of the entire collection.