We are all being encouraged by the CDC to practice social distancing to help stop the spread of the novel coronavirus. Listening to podcasts is one of my favorite ways of minding my business while riding the train, walking on the street or in any public setting. While most people listen to good music, I listen to podcast or a good book. A really good podcast tends to inspire and motivate me and sometimes set my mood for the rest of the day.
With the current coronavirus pandemic where nonessential workers like myself have been mandated to work from home, I have found that listening to podcasts keeps me grounded and calm. My favorite podcast to listen to in this challenging time is the Therapy for Black Girls. Dr. Bradford and her guests share useful tips on how to cope with stress and anxiety caused by the pandemic. I also love listening to investment-focused podcasts to understand the current stock market and what I can do to secure my investment portfolio.
My love for podcasts started back in March 2019. I had just passed my Project Management Professional (PMP) certification exam and needed to learn more about the profession. The first podcast I downloaded was Projectified by PMI. It was perfect because the hosts and guests shared their real-life project management experiences and expertise. I was instantly hooked! And from there I downloaded many other project management podcasts.
For this year, I decided to listen to more diverse podcasts. I’m currently interested in topics like leadership, mental health, investment, etc. So, I searched for podcasts that cover these topics and also paid attention when leaders I follow on LinkedIn shared their favorite podcasts. And being under quarantine due to coronavirus forced me to download more podcasts. And now, I have so many to listen to while I practice social distancing and minding my own business.
Below is a list of 13 really good podcasts that are keeping me motivated, inspired, and mentally strong while under quarantine. Click on the titles for a more in-depth explanation of what you stand to gain when you listen. You will be hitting that subscribe button even before you finish reading the description.
- #SecureTheSeat with host Minda Harts
- Oprah’s SuperSoul Conversations
- Therapy for Black Girls hosted by Joy Harden Bradford, Ph.D.
- How Does She Do It? With Tiffany F. Southerland
- Trailblazers.FM Exploring Successful Black Professionals hosted by Stephen A. Hart
- Beyond the Business Suit with Kailei Carr
- Switch, Pivot or Quit with Ahyiana Angel
- The Minority Trailblazer hosted by Greg E. Hill
- Unbossed: The Stories Behind the Journey hosted by Marquita Harris
- She’s Got Drive: Black Women talk about Success and how they achieved it with Shirley McAlpine
- InvestTalk – Investment in Stock Market, Financial Planning, Retirement Planning, and Money Management with Steve Peasley
- Talk Money with Mesh Lakhani
- Investing Insights by Morningstar